User-agent: * Allow: / Lymphoma, Family, Food, and Diabetes: Turdulence

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Turdulence

This is not a topic for a public forum according to my wife. I’ll try to keep it brief. When Ann and Dallas were little, we were reading The Watsons Go to Birmingham: 1963 by Christopher Paul Curtis. The Watson’s car is nicknamed the “Brown Turd.” I kind of hesitated as I read that and the kids looked at me and asked, “What’s a turd?” I simply said, “It’s a poop.” They started giggling and laughing and it was one of those moments of truth gone well in parenting.

So what does this have to do with turdulence? And what is turdulence? It’s funny and a fact of life if you are having chemo. Almost every drug I take lists constipation and diarrhea as a side effect. C’mon, make up your mind! Constipation is a normal topic of conversation in the chemo room. Nurses ask about it and give advice depending on your situation. HIPPA would probably have a cow because these aren’t quiet, hush-hush conversations. I know the bowel habits of people I’ve never met before.

Drink plenty of water, use stool softeners if needed, and keep a sense of humor. The “transition” or “turdulence” happens Day 11 – 13. And please, don’t talk about it in public.

No comments: