User-agent: * Allow: / Lymphoma, Family, Food, and Diabetes: What is a Normal Day?

Thursday, June 24, 2010

What is a Normal Day?

After looking at the blog a friend, Sam, asked me, “When do you sleep”? I guess that’s as good as place to start as any. I go to bed around 10 or 10:30 and get up around 3 or 4 in the morning. Five to six hours of sleep seems to do the trick. I have a cup of coffee and work on this blog either jotting down some ideas for posts or cleaning some things up. The blog has helped keep me sane in the early morning hours.

I’ll start work around 5:30 or 6. I work from home for a company called Maritz. and the people I work are located in the Detroit area. My primary client is General Motors. I do Organizational Development work with their dealer network and a group of nationwide Facilitators to help improve work processes in GM dealerships. Buy American. I recently read an advertisement by the president of Toyota, North America extolling their commitment to quality and safety since 1937. I don’t think I would have gone back quite that far. Did I mention my father was a WWII vet? He was in the South Pacific. GM and Maritz have been very good to me.

I take a break around 10:30 and try to walk the dog and grab some lunch. Since the folks in Detroit are an hour ahead of me this overlaps with their lunch. The afternoon is more work, take a few breaks, and I’m generally done at 5 or so. I have a lot of flexibility. I also have a lot of variety and creativity in what I do, it isn’t physically taxing, and I’ve been able to continue working without a problem. Chemo brain interferes a little because I am forgetful and have some confusion keeping track of my schedule. The folks I work with have been very forgiving.

Especially when on Prednisone I tackle a variety of small household tasks throughout the day. I tend to think about the things I’m working on while I start a meal, clip some flowers, or whatever. Random thoughts get in too like thinking about painting the other bathroom. I watch many Twins games in the evening and try to do some needlepoint during the game. Baseball is similar to the blog; it helps keep me sane but in the evening.

I do interact with my family and there is no “normal” routine there. Eunice is in West Virgina for a family reunion. Ann and Dallas are working and keeping me company in the evening. We have dinner together. The consistent thing is they take great care of me. Sleep comes with a “love you, goodnight” for all.


Eat Good Food, Be Kind, Tell the Truth

Click below for the collection of recipes or for an easy to print copy of a single recipe.

Collection of Recipes

Noodles with Peanut Sauce and Vegetables: a family favorite.

The Friday Update: Just the Facts

No comments: