User-agent: * Allow: / Lymphoma, Family, Food, and Diabetes: Rapunzel, Rapunzel, Let Down Your Hair...

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Rapunzel, Rapunzel, Let Down Your Hair...

My hair loss hasn’t been dramatic. My hair is definitely thinner but there is enough that I haven’t shaved (or lint rolled) my head. I did order a gentlemen’s personal barber from Hammecher Schlemmer. It’s like a comb or brush that allows you to trim your hair and keep it short. I keep my hair short anyway so this is something I’ll continue to use. It works great.

Baldness can be uncomfortable for anyone but especially for women. Hats are great but keeping your hair is even better. I read an article in our newspaper the other day about the Rapunzel Project, a non-profit organization dedicated to helping chemotherapy patients keep their hair during treatment. It was founded by two breast cancer survivors and their website has information about cold caps and many tips that may help prevent hair loss during chemotherapy. It appears that keeping your hair during chemotherapy is becoming a reality.

Adding the two extra units of Lantus appears to have done the trick controlling the increase in my morning blood sugar. One of the good things about getting up early is that I could test my blood sugars throughout the morning. The increase in blood sugar happens from about 5-7 in the morning. I’ve always experienced an increase overnight and most people (diabetics and non-diabetics) have fluctuations that occur over the course of the day (basal rate). My Lantus insulin manages those fluctuations over a 24 hour period. Many diabetics use an insulin pump to give a low level amount of insulin that does the same thing. Both mimic the insulin produced in a normal person to control these natural fluctuations. That is probably more than you wanted to know but the important thing is it seems to be working.

I wasn’t up early this morning. I slept almost 9 hours last night. Feeling well rested and ready to go.

Eat Good Food, Be Kind, Tell the Truth
Click below for the collection of recipes or for an easy to print copy of a single recipe.

Collection of Recipes

Headquarters Chili: We make this camping too. It's easy and will make your bald head glisten.

No comments: