User-agent: * Allow: / Lymphoma, Family, Food, and Diabetes: Fishing

Friday, July 23, 2010

Fishing

I haven’t done a lot of fishing since the kids were born. I didn’t do a lot of fishing before that either but did enough to be dangerous. I have my grandfather’s 1959 3HP Evinrude motor, fishing poles, tackle box, etc. I decided it was time to clean this stuff up and start to do some fishing. While I’m starting to work on my tackle box Dallas tells me he’d like to go fishing sometime. He hasn’t been fishing since he was using a Thomas the Tank Engine pole. So I’m thinking I can clean my stuff up, rent a row boat, put the motor on, take him fishing in a lake I’ve haven’t fished in years with gear that hasn’t been used in years, and the whole thing will be a disaster. Or I could look for a guide who knows what they are doing, break back into this thing with some success, and have some fun. Fun seemed like the better option.

Mille Lacs Lake is Minnesota's second-largest lake and well known for its fishing – especially Walleye fishing. It also has Northern Pike, Muskie, Perch, Small Mouth Bass and I’m sure other types of fish. And it is less than a two-hour drive from our home. Lake Minnetonka is closer but also has more recreational boaters so the fishing may not be as much fun. Mille Lacs it is. Tim and Tina Chapman run
Chapman’s Mille Lacs Resort & Guide Service
. I found them on an internet search and made a reservation for Tim to guide me and Dallas.

In the meantime, Todd calls to see if I want to go fishing after work on Wednesday. I’m all over this. We headed out to Lake Minnetonka where his boat is and embarked on a 3-hour tour. Like the Minnow we had some problems but still had fun and each caught a little Northern. Now I’m ready to go to Mille Lacs confident that I can fish and finding a guide was the right decision.

Dallas and I arrived around 3:30 and Tim and Tina welcomed us. Tim is prepared to take us out and not only guides us but teaches us about the lake and fishing too. This is fun and stress free fishing. Dallas got the first catch – a small perch we didn’t keep – and then the walleyes started hitting. We were getting "good eating” walleyes that we can keep and get our limit. We also had the excitement of catching a very fat 18” small mouth. It was a beautiful evening.









With the chemo and everything I thought I might be taking on a little too much with this trip. It couldn’t have been better. I got to spend time with Dallas, fished on a beautiful lake, and Tim and Tina took care of everything. I'm refreshed and feeling great.

Eat Good Food, Be Kind, Tell the Truth
Click below for the collection of recipes or for an easy to print copy of a single recipe.

Collection of Recipes

Pan-Fried Walleye Fillets: Couple of options. Nothing really new here since my grandfather last used the motor.

The Friday Update: Just the Facts

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Loved hearing about your fishing trip, David. Tim and Tyler will head out for a day of fishing on Lake Erie while we're on vaca next week. I hope they have as much luck as Dallas and you did! Gotta love Walleye!!