User-agent: * Allow: / Lymphoma, Family, Food, and Diabetes: Fatigue

Monday, July 26, 2010

Fatigue

I am having more fatigue. I went to a few different web sites to read about cancer related fatigue. One common thing I found is that fatigue often is but should not be confused with tiredness. Tiredness happens to everyone. It is an expected feeling after certain activities or at the end of the day. Usually, you know why you are tired, and a good night's sleep solves the problem. The fatigue I’m talking about is unpredictable. Usually, it comes on suddenly, does not result from activity or exertion, and is not relieved by rest or sleep. It just happens.

Some signs of cancer-related fatigue I found at a variety of sites are:
• Feeling tired, weary or exhausted even after sleeping
• Lacking energy to do your regular activities
• Having trouble concentrating, thinking clearly, or remembering
• Feeling negative, irritable, impatient, or unmotivated
• Lacking interest in normal day-to-day activities
• Spending less attention on personal appearance
• Spending more time in bed or sleeping

Those are great descriptions and I think I’ve experienced all of those to some degree. However, they miss a key point about cancer related fatigue. It makes it sound gradual but the fact is it is often sudden and paralyzing. And dangerous. When Dallas and I went fishing, I fell asleep while driving. Dallas calmly took control and woke me up. But the whole language of “falling asleep” isn’t correct. I didn’t fall asleep; I shut down – like flipping a switch. It’s said that Cool Papa Bell was so fast he could turn off the light and be in bed before the room got dark. That’s the challenge of coping with cancer related fatigue.

Eat Good Food, Be Kind, Tell the Truth
Click below for the collection of recipes or for an easy to print copy of a single recipe.

Collection of Recipes

Spicy Chipotle-Tomato Sauce: Great on steaks and burgers.

The Friday Update: Just the Facts

No comments: