User-agent: * Allow: / Lymphoma, Family, Food, and Diabetes: Where Have I Been? What Was I Thinking?

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Where Have I Been? What Was I Thinking?

Steve gave me the CD Broken Hearts & Dirty Windows. It’s a cover CD of John Prine songs. It’s good. John Prine was in the Twin Cities and played live on MPR during an interview in their studio. So I got interested in getting another CD. After Dallas left we cleaned his room and found a gift card to The Electric Fetus (Steve and Mary gave it to him) and naturally took it to the store and bought 3 CDs including Sweet Revenge. That was a couple of weeks ago.

Eunice told me tonight that Ann was going to give me Bruised Orange for my birthday but it was outrageously expensive. Ann made me dinner in Chicago instead and that was a much better gift. I mean Bruised Orange was good but not $143 good. Dinner with Ann was priceless.

I went to eBay to see if there were any copies on sale for less. I got a little distracted listening to the song “Let’s Talk Dirty in Hawaiian” and ended up looking at Great Days which is an anthology of Prine songs. It has “41 tracks on 2 CDs spanning the years 1971-1991” according to the notes including: “Hello in There”, “Sam Stone”, “Dear Abby”, “Bruised Orange (Chain of Sorrow)”, and a personal favorite – “Sabu Visits the Twin Cities Alone”. Some of the featured artists include: Bonnie Raitt, David Bromberg, Glenn Frey, J. D. Souther, Jackson Browne, Jennifer Warnes, John Sebastian, and Steve Goodman. What a lineup!

I’m still on Prednisone. I placed a bid. Eunice suggested an amount. I doubled it for my high bid. I want this CD. And then the magic words popped up: You're the high bidder and currently in the lead. Unfortunately there are still 4 hours, 16 minutes, and 19 seconds left in the auction as I write.

Imagine if I had discovered eBay last April! I could have bought and sold all sorts of stuff. Eunice doesn’t have a lot of stuff but I would have started there. I never would have let Smudge out – I’d have sold him: Rare Silver Tabby, used but in good condition, $143 or a copy of John Prine’s Bruised Orange. Dallas is gone and I’ve already taken his gift card so why not sell his stuff too? He kind of started it anyway. Ann’s in Chicago and she never threw anything away. There’s a fortune in her closet and the boxes in the basement.

CD Update: You won this auction. And I got it for less than my maximum bid.

Maybe I should do one more cycle.

Eat Good Food, Be Kind, Tell the Truth
Click below for the collection of recipes or for an easy to print copy of a single recipe.

Collection of Recipes

Great Salsa

The Friday Update: Just the Facts

2 comments:

tims said...

John Prine: the best songwriter in America. Can I borrow your albums sometime?

David Koller said...

Anytime. And I have the vinyl too.