User-agent: * Allow: / Lymphoma, Family, Food, and Diabetes: Cheating

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Cheating

Dallas and I went to a ball game before he left. He asked me if I saw a play Jorge Posada made where he tagged a runner with his mitt but the ball was in his hand. The runner was called out. We talked about Armando Galarraga’s perfect game that became a one hitter due to a bad call at first that the umpire later apologized for. Imagine if the batter, Jason Donald, did the golf thing and told the ump he was clearly out. It’s hard to say that either Posada or Donald was cheating. What happened is all within the rules of the game.

Sports are a connection to our past and a benchmark for the future. They were and are a way to build memories with your parents and your kids. They’re the great equalizer; race, age, and gender, don’t matter. But now are the games that are supposed to teach character, discipline and teamwork teaching cheating?

I’m proud of Ann and Dallas. They don’t cheat. Trust is a hard thing to build and an easy thing to lose. We trust them but they are responsible for that. They’ve earned it. They have been looked up to inside and outside of sports as leaders. Ann is off to Chicago and Dallas is going around the world. But I’m not worried about them; they are ready for life.

Life presents you with situations where there can be no cheating. There’s no cheating in chemo. You can’t speed it up, can’t cut a treatment, can’t avoid the side effects, and you can’t change the results. I’m done – had my last infusion yesterday. It’s a tough lesson, but not a bad one, especially if you are prepared.

I’d like to thank my parents for helping to prepare me.

Eat Good Food, Be Kind, Tell the Truth
Click below for the collection of recipes or for an easy to print copy of a single recipe.

Collection of Recipes

Grilled Asparagus

The Friday Update: Just the Facts

No comments: